IP Relay Service
IP Relay is a new relay service designed so deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals can place and receive text-based relay calls from their personal computer (PC). This is an enhancement to, not a replacement of, the existing Teletypewriter (TTY) service.
IP Relay is a FREE service available to all Northwestel Home Phone customers who:
- Have a valid Northwestel Home Phone number
- Have been registered or certified as being hearing or speech impaired
- Have registered for IP Relay
Please note this is an Internet based service and should you have an emergency, responders may not know the location you are calling from unless you tell them where you are.
- Contact Northwestel at 1-888-423-2333 and provide your first and last name, phone number, e-mail address, complete home and billing addresses (if not the same)
- Someone will contact you to inquire about your certification and you will then be signed up
- Once you are signed up you will receive an e-mail with your access code and password (you need to provide people the unique 9 digit user ID if you want them to call you)
- A User guide will also be e-mailed to you
- People will then be able to call you (once you provide them your 9 digit ID) by dialing 1-888-RELAY-21 (1-888-735-2921)
Charges and Billing
There is no charge for using IP Relay to place calls within Canada.
Long distance charges apply for calls to the U.S. and overseas. These calls are billed to your Northwestel Home Phone service and vary depending upon where you call and the time of day the call is made.
When you place a call through IP Relay, the first part of the call travels over the Internet. Therefore, if charges apply, they will be charged based on your Northwestel Home Phone number no matter where you are physically located.
Collect, person-to-person, third-number billing, 1-900 and Calling Card™ calls are not supported.
Prepaid cards are supported. Please provide instructions to the operator before placing a call using a prepaid card.
IP Relay operators do not have access to your billing information, but can help you contact the appropriate department.
System and Technical Requirements
To use IP Relay, you will need:
- A computer with a Windows or Mac operating system
- Windows XP, Vista, 7
- Mac OS X
- A broadband Internet connection with a download speed of at least 1 Mbps
- A web browser
IP Relay allows you to make data calls from any computer that meets these requirements – even in an Internet café, using a public Wi-Fi hotspot or with a 3G wireless enabled laptop. You do not need any special equipment or software.
IP Relay is tied to your Northwestel Home Phone service, and remains active as long as you have a valid Northwestel Home phone number. If you cancel Northwestel Home phone, your IP Relay service will also be cancelled.
If you move and keep the same phone number, nothing will change.